Tithe 1130/1: 1187 C/R
A Bakehouse is first recorded
(in the Church Rates) in 1766, held by Martha
Dench. The house, which appears to be originally 2
cottages was probably built in the early 1700’s.
The left hand cottage has an axial stack, which
might suggest of 17th. century origin and the
right hand later. They were both 2 room
The 1779 Auction Prospectus
lists the leaseholder as Matthew Goodyear Palmer,
Messuage & tenement & 14 ˝ acres Rent 6/-.
His wife, Nancy, was a member of the Venn family
who may have been Bakers and holding the Lease
earlier. By 1790 Survey the lease was held by
Nicholas Ellis. Nancy Palmer is still named as a
Life, as is Nicholas’ wife Grace (nee Hollett). He
was baker and a Churchwarden at Otterton Church
from 1795 to 1809. He died in 1825. His wife Grace
continued with the lease to her death in
In 1839 Henry Roberts, White
Bread Baker, took out a new 99 year lease Rent
6/6d, Dwelling House, bakehouse, offices. Garden,
orchard “all corn, grain & malt to be ground
at Otterton Mill”.(CDE 20045) He had probably been
working for Mrs. Ellis before her death. Does this
indicate that the old lease had expired and the
building was erected in 1740? Henry, Walter and
Charles Roberts were baking there until 1870 James
Bridle took the lease in 1871 and died 10 years
later. He had previously been running a bakehouse
in premises between Goslings smithy and Spinning
Wheel cottage (Tithe 1049) and was from Newton
Poppleford. On his death his widow Charlotte with
her son Arthur, continued the bakery until she
went out of business caused by her other son
Walter and just before her death in 1890.
Walter Bridle “had for years
delivered bread to the Barley Mow, (Inn in Colaton
Raleigh), receiving liquor in return and never
having a settlement of his bill” . “By his
profligacy nearly ruined his mother and sisters,
ultimately compelling them to sell the goodwill of
their old established trade of bakers……to make a
living dress tucking” (Letter d/d 17.03.1891
Lipscombe to Frere London Solicitors CDE Letter
By 1894 Rentals Mrs. Jemima
Snow, dgt. Henry Roberts & life on 1839 Lease,
Is holding it. Later in the 1890’s Thomas Brewer
moved from Exeter to Otterton and took the bakery
over. He is still there in 1914.
By 1921 Arthur Payne is running
the business. By 1946 he and his two sons Harold
& Ernie are baking “ Charlie Fisher in his
reminicenses writes” They made beautiful bread
here and numerous cakes and other confectionary
matter, Sundays they would cook the Sunday joints
for those without ovens”.
Payne, family and staff.
row from the left:- Mrs. Alice Pile (nee Payne),
Mrs Ancill, Mrs. Morton (housekeeper), Mr Ancill
(from Honolulu), Arthur Payne
Back row from left:- Harold Payne, Mrs Jane
By 1957 the brothers had moved
on. A Mr. Williams(?) and Sam. Pitman ran the
business for several years delivering as far as
East Budleigh & Yettington. They would make a
cottage loaf if required.
During the 1970’s (1979?) Mrs.
Eleanor Payne bought the Bakery and House. Samuel
Pitman continued as her tenant.
By April 1994 his lease had run
out and Mrs. Payne wished to close the Bakery and
applied to change the use of the premises to
At that time Sam Pitman with Les
Brown had built up a thriving business employing 6
villagers and supplying bread etc. to Colaton
Raleigh, East Budleigh, Newton Poppleford,
Woodbury Budleigh Salterton and Otterton.
A petition signed by about 1000
people was presented to the District Council, but
Mrs. Payne refused to change her mind and the
Bakery was closed in November 1994.
© Gerald Millington 2012
- Clinton Devon Estates
- Exmouth Journal
- Charlie Fishers Village Story
1947 – 1962